A Legacy of Quality
About Stanton Ranch
George Elliott Staton (1898–1984), cattle rancher and entrepreneur in Alvin, Texas, was born on August 7, 1898, in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, to Elliott James (E. J.) and Leah Ann (Tice) Stanton. The family moved to Texas in 1909 and purchased land north of Alvin. Stanton attended local schools in Alvin before he joined his father in buying, selling, and raising cattle—cattle raising became a major part of the family’s business. In 1921 they purchased the John Coward woodyard and renamed it E.J. Stanton and Son. They sold wood and coal and in 1922 expanded to include a feed store with the purchase of four additional lots adjoining the Santa Fe railroad tracks. Stanton married Flora Marie McDonald, on June 11, 1924, in Alvin, Texas. They had six children and were members of the St. John the Baptist Catholic Church.
The July 1, 1927, edition of the Alvin Sun announced the expansion of E. J. Stanton and Son and featured a history of the business.
Beginning in 1926 the family began offering grocery goods in the store, and the July 1, 1927, edition of the Alvin Sun featured the Stantons and their business and promoted their planned expansion of their facility. E. J. Stanton passed away in 1929, and George assumed full operation of the business. The store expanded to include a larger grocery section, and hardware, meat market, and pharmaceutical goods. Stanton continued to increase the products available for sale and had the first shopping center in Alvin. In 1956 the store was renamed Stanton’s Shopping Center, and in 1973 he made the final expansion to include a complete grocery with meat market and produce section, along with restaurant, gift shop, hardware, appliance, and farm supplies sections.
Cattle ranching remained a major part of the family’s business, and in 1942 Stanton increased his cattle operations by purchasing a ranch outside of Johnson City to raise additional registered Hereford Cattle. Stanton Hereford Ranch cattle were shown at many steer competition stock shows around Texas and received many awards, including Grand Champion Steer at the 1934 Houston Fat Stock Show and Reserve Champion for both bull and pen of three heifers in the 1954 Texas Hereford Register of Merit Show in Beeville. Stanton served as president of the Blanco County Hereford Breeders Association and isconsidered a pioneer breeder of Hereford cattle in the Alvin area. He also served as president of the Alvin Chamber of Commerce and was active in the Alvin community. He advocated showing and teaching youth about cattle ranching and worked with the local Alvin Future Farmers of America chapter and the Four-H Club.
Warren Stanton would continue to run the ranch daily operations with assistance from his son Allen Stanton. In 1996 the Stantons would show annually at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo winning numerous National Championships with both Bulls and Heifers. Another generation of Stanton family showman would pick up here as well showing in the Texas Junior Braford and National Junior Braford show circuit.
426 West CR 5719
Devine, TX 78016